Many of my clients are aware that I have a dual life as a computer tech and jazz pianist. Here’s a case where they intersect. This morning I was trying to print a Finale file. Every time I tried to print a particular file, Finale crashed with no explanation. It was only happening for one particular file. I tried extracting parts and printing the parts, but no luck. I checked for updates to the software. It didn’t help.
Finally I noticed the file name was very long. It was something like “If I loved you arrangement for horns and strings with instructions to repeart back to letter G for fadeout ending.” I tried shortening it and the crashes stopped.
This is what’s known as a software bug. Finale should be able to handle any Windows file name.